Whether you are new to fly fishing or you have been doing it for a while, you know there is a lot of equipment involved. You need to invest in rods, reels, fly lines and flies. The quality of your equipment not only has an impact on your performance, but also on how enjoyable your fly fishing experience is.
If you try to purchase all the components you need separately, you will spend a lot more time and money than is necessary. Also, the equipment you get may not be perfectly compatible. For example, your rod and reel may not work together well.
For those reasons, it is worthwhile to shop for a fly fishing combo kit instead. Such a kit can cut back on your fly fishing expenses, ensure that all of your equipment works well together, and can save you time so you can get right to fishing.
What makes for a solid purchase, and which fly fishing combo kits are worth thinking about? In this guide, we will tell you about some important considerations when shopping for a fly fishing combo, and we will introduce you to some top products.
Our Top Recommendations for Fly Fishing Combos
You can view our recommended fly fishing combo kits in the list below.
Want to learn more about these products? Read on to our pros and cons below, and then continue to find out about key considerations when shopping for a fly fishing combo kit.
Best Fly Fishing Combo for Beginners
NetAngler Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
If you are looking for a fly fishing combo set that includes everything you need to get started, the NetAngler Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo may be the ideal option. We will be including a couple of all-in-one fly fishing combos in this list of recommendations. But we picked this as our top option for beginners both because it has everything you need and also because the price is very reasonable.
Additionally, if you do not require the free packing or fly tools, you have the option of purchasing a less expensive version of the combo without these add-ons.
- This all-in-one kit has it all: 1 fly fishing rod, 1 rod tip, 1 fishing reel, fishing lines pre-installed, 4 fly fishing tools, 1 backing, 16 regular flies, 12 vivid flies, 1 tackle box, and 1 carrying case. So, you can get started fly fishing immediately with the supplies in this combo.
- The fly reel is made out of sturdy aluminum, and the rod features chromed stainless steel guide rings. Most of the components in this combo are well-made and should last a long time.
- This equipment set is lightweight, so you should not fatigue when carrying it in the handy case.
- This package is relatively inexpensive when you consider everything that comes in it. So, it is a good value for a beginner.
- Although line cleaning supplies are included, they are not the most effective, so you might need to buy a separate cleaning kit.
- The fly case is not all that high in quality, and the foam can come off (if it does, however, you can glue it back on easily enough).
Best Fly Fishing Combo for Overall Performance
Moonshine Rod Co. The Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod with Carrying Case
Our top pick for overall performance is the Moonshine Rod Co. The Drifter Series Fly Fishing Rod with Carrying Case. This mid-range item is a medium-action rod that is easy to cast and offers a great feel and solid performance. While it is a little more expensive than some of the other options on this list, you should be impressed by the quality. Keep in mind this is a pretty basic kit, consisting only of a fishing rod, extra rod tip section, and carrying case.
- The feel and sensitivity of this rod are hard to beat, making it a joy to fish with.
- The construction and materials are top-shelf, especially at this price point. Indeed, this rod is quite the bargain considering that it can perform better than many competing rods that sell at much higher prices.
- Aesthetically, this rod is beautiful, offering a surprising amount of visual interest.
- The customer support team for this product is fast, responsive, and very helpful if you have any questions.
- There is not a lot to complain about with this fishing rod couple bit it is a bit on the heavy side.
- You do need to get some items separately.
Best Premium Fly Fishing Combo
Sage Fly Fishing – FOUNDATION Outfit – Fly Rod, Reel & Line Combo
Looking for a premium fly fishing combo? If you have the budget for it, you might want to think about investing in the Sage Fly Fishing – FOUNDATION Outfit – Fly Rod, Reel & Line Combo. This product may be outside the price range of some beginners, but it is worth spending extra on, so it may be a good “step up” for intermediate or advanced fly fishers looking to take their equipment to the next level.
- All the basics are included in this combo: the rod, the Sage Black/Platinum 2200 reel, RIO Gold fly line, backing, a tapered leader, and a case.
- This product was crafted by hand with great attention to detail and quality control. With Graphite IIIe Technology, hard chrome snake guides, and ceramic stripper guides, it features great durable materials and a great design.
- This is a USA-made product, not one manufactured overseas.
- Sage is a well-known brand in fly fishing, and you can trust the quality of this company’s products.
- The marketing images for this product can be a bit confusing, since they seem to show a different case than the one that comes with your purchase.
Best Fly Fishing Combo for Versatility
M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Fishing Rod and Combo
If you are in search of a fly fishing combo that is perfect to use whether you are fishing on a wide open lake or a narrow forest stream, you will like the M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Fishing Rod and Combo. This product’s adjustability gives you the option to adapt it to your fishing environment. That means it is ready to offer you a great experience no matter where you want to fish.
- Made from IM8+10 Carbonfiber material, this rod offers an ideal balance between durability and lightweight design. It is also compact, which makes it easy to pack with your gear for hiking and camping.
- As a triple zoom fly fishing rod, you can adjust the length, making the M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Fishing Rod and Combo appropriate anywhere you want to fish.
- Your purchase includes the rod, the line, a wire-cord zinger, a line nipper with knot tool, two easy hook keepers, and 6 flies. The reason there is no reel is because you do not need one; this is a tenkara-style rod. There is also a case for the rod.
- There is an option for the combo kit, but also one for the rod only. This in and of itself is not a bad thing, but some customers seem to get confused about which product they are ordering.
- Customer support from this company may be inconsistent.
Best All-in-One Fly Fishing Combo
KastKing Emergence Fly Fishing Combo
We wanted to offer another option for a fly fishing combo that includes everything you need to get started. Indeed, the KastKing Emergence Fly Fishing Combo is another ideal choice for beginners, selling at a reasonable price and providing you with all the supplies you could ask for. While marginally more expensive than the NetAngler Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo at the time of this writing, it is available in the same basic price range.
- Your purchase includes a 4-piece performance fly rod, a fly line, a tapered leader, backing, an aluminum fly reel, 12 flies tied by hand, a line nipper with retractor, a split shot, strike indicators, a tackle box, and a travel case. With these supplies, you can start fly fishing immediately without needing to make separate purchases.
- The materials for the rod and reel are durable but lightweight, making this rod comfortable to carry and use.
- The level of quality for all of the components is high with respect to the price, so this package is an excellent value.
- The quality of the tackle box is not the best, but this seems to be a common issue with fly fishing combos.
- Occasionally one of these combos seems to ship out with missing pieces, but this is rare.
Best Value Fly Fishing Combo
Wild Water Fly Fishing 9 Foot, 4-Piece, 5/6 Weight Fly Rod Deluxe Complete Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo Starter Package
The Wild Water Fly Fishing Complete Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo Starter Package is another kit well worth thinking about if you are looking for a solid value. While it may not have the same level of quality as a premium fly fishing combo, it is very affordable, and the level of quality you do get is surprisingly high.
- Quality materials and craftsmanship make this combo a great investment. The die cast aluminum reel, IM8 graphite medium-action rod, and the cork handle with accent rings are sure to impress.
- Your purchase includes a 4-piece fly fishing rod, a fly reel with pre-installed backing, floating line, and leader, a spool of tippet, forceps, 2 retractable zingers, 2 spare leaders, a fly box, 18 flies, a hard case for accessories, and a carrying case. This makes it one of the most comprehensive combos we have seen.
- There is a lifetime warranty on the rod.
- Customer service for this product is outstanding.
- Sometimes the reels may have issues with balancing. This is not common, and appears to be a defect that only affects a few reels.
Best Fly Fishing Combo on a Budget
Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo by Wakeman Outdoors
If you are looking to save money on a fly fishing combo for beginners, the Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo by Wakeman Outdoors may fit the bill. It is not the highest quality option on the market, and you will need to do a little extra work to pick up some supplies that are not included. Nonetheless, you can save a lot of money with this combo. So, if you are on a tight budget, or are not sure yet whether fly fishing is for you, it might be an ideal purchase.
- Most of what you will need to get started fly fishing is in this kit, including a 3-piece rod, a fly reel, a reel seat, a fly line, a tapered leader, and 2 flies. You also get a convenient carrying case.
- The fiberglass rod is lightweight, comfortable to use, and durable. The EVA foam handle is ergonomic and reduces fatigue for a long day of casting.
- The value of this product is decent, even though the quality is not as high nor the kit as thorough as you will find with some competing products. Still, the price is right.
- There is a design flaw with the rod where it may occasionally fall apart as you are casting at the split point. Needless to say, this can be more than a little annoying.
- Backing is missing from this kit. You also will want to purchase more flies.
Considerations for Choosing a Fly Fishing Combo
Now that you are familiar with some of the top products to consider when shopping for a fly fishing combo, let’s go over some things to think about with respect to features and quality as you are comparing products.
1. Pieces included in the kit
There’s a pretty wide spectrum of fly fishing combo kits out there when it comes to accessories. Some kits are extremely basic, and include nothing but a rod, a reel, the line, and the backing. Most products include a case as well.
Others, however, come with a number of fly fishing tools, and may include a number of flies as well.
You might also sometimes run into combos that are missing some of the basics, but may or may not include some extra accessories.
You will need to decide which supplies you need in a combo kit based on what you may or may not already have and your plans.
If you are a beginner, you probably should look for a combo that includes the majority of what you will need. That way, you have fewer individual supplies to track down on your own.
2. Quality materials and construction
Just as if you were shopping for individual components, when you are shopping for a fly fishing combo, you should make sure that the pieces included are made of robust materials and feature durable construction.
Although you want your rod to be made out of sturdy materials, you do not want it to be uncomfortably heavy. The same goes for the other pieces in your kit. But this is most important if you will be walking long distances with your equipment or will be casting for many hours on end.
4. The right fit for the environment where you will be fishing
A long rod is generally ideal for fly fishing in a wide open setting, whereas a short rod is generally more suitable for tighter spaces like a forest stream.
Choose a rod with the length that will fit environment where you plan to fish. If you will be fishing in a variety of environments, consider getting an adjustable rod. That way, the same rod can be used in many different settings comfortably and effectively.
5. The right fit for the species you will fish for
Get a rod that will be suitable for the species of fish you are trying to catch. The heavier the rod power, the bigger fish you will be able to handle.
6. Balance, sensitivity, action, etc.
As with any other type of fishing rod, there are additional factors to consider when purchasing a fly fishing rod such as its action, balance, and sensitivity. You will need to do some research to figure out what will be most suitable for your needs.
There is a pretty wide price range when it comes to fly fishing combos. You will find that most combo kits sell in the $100-$300 range. But there are also some budget fly fishing combos for under $100, as well as some premium kits that you can find in the $500 and up range.
If you are not sure whether fly fishing is something you will stick with, or you do not have a lot of money to spend, getting something for under $100 may make sense.
But even if you are a beginner, if you are trying to get a high-quality fly fishing combo kit that you can use for the long term, we do suggest shopping for something in the $100+ bracket. You will get more bang for your buck.
Get the Fly Fishing Combo You Need to Get Started Now
Now you know what is important to consider when you are shopping for a fly fishing combo kit. You have also had the opportunity to learn more about some of our top recommended fly fishing combos. To get the fly fishing kit that is right for you, click on any of the links in this article. You will then be ready to start fly fishing with high quality, compatible equipment.